Home » Uncategorized » Journal #1 – February 11, 2021

Journal #1 – February 11, 2021

The first two weeks have been unusual because I have never taken a course like this before where we do not meet up on either Blackboard Ultra or Zoom. But, I am starting to adjust to this no class meeting style of learning and have come to like it. I am kind of glad that we are not meeting in real person and instead doing assignments through blackboard discussion for this class. I just do the work that is supposed to be submitted on the same day and that is it. My favorite part about this class so far is actually the “Analysis of Article” assignment. He allowed us to write whatever we feel the most comfortable with. I actually found the perfect article to write about potholes. I know that the purpose of this assignment was to explain how the different literary elements are applied in this article. But I feel that this assignment was the first step in writing an actual engineering technical report. I also realized that this assignment was actually helping me improve on my analyzing skills. Getting better at analyzing is one of my major goals to accomplish in class.  Additionally, that first chapter in that technical textbook was really convincing of how engineers actually plan construction and solve society’s problems that would benefit everyone. I first thought that being a civil engineer was all about planning and that is it. But after being in this class so far and reading a part of that textbook, there were a lot more skills in being an engineer than just planning, it is just like doing a lab report.